Thursday, September 22, 2011

Of spiders, lizards, and other creepy crawlies.

Thursday 9-22-2011
                For the last few days, Ileah and I have been helping out at the pharmacy. First, with labeling the prices and codes of various medications and lately we have been trying our best to update the inventory on the computer using excel. The inventory is basically a list of the medications the pharmacy holds in addition to all the various lab works available to the patients. Now I know this might sound exciting to some people but truth be told, I would rather be stitching people up, giving injections, or teaching the children at the compound English. Hopefully I will be able to do all the things mentioned above and more once the clinic gets busier and the children have had some time to settle into their school year. The school year has just started and every morning as I am leaving for the clinic, I see kids in their yellow and green uniform walking to school in groups, often being lead by their older siblings. They are so cute! And they get so excited if you pull out a camera to take pictures of them.
So lately we have been having some insect problems…at first it was just a few daddy long leg looking spiders in the bathroom, which I ended up killing pretty much right away but it seems the more spiders I kill, the more appear. I was on my way to the bathroom when I saw the first big, black, ugly, giant spider. This one was not the leggy kind but one of those fat spiders with substance. I was too much of a chicken to attempt smashing it so I attacked it with 3 different kinds of chemicals for about 5 minutes before it finally stopped moving. Then came the second spider which was even bigger than the first. I used the same method to kill it and later that night I found a third spider on the wall. This time I had to call in for reinforcements as the spider had crawl too high for me to spray it. Kidbret, one of the residents here came to our rescue. I’m sure that by now the whole village understands that if in the near future they wake up in the middle of the night to hear the foreigners screaming in their apartment, it’s just us freaking out about a spider.
                I have been given the responsibility of helping out with the children’s Sabbath school program but I still don’t know exactly what that entails. Bible stories? Singing songs? Crafts? Or letting them braid my hair? Lol, whatever it is, I’m excited to find out. Here are a few more Amharic words I have learned this week:
wu-sha: dog
a-beu-ba: flower
a-reun-gwa-de: green
kai: red
bi-cha: yellow

No comments:

Post a Comment